The Central Library of Rochester & Monroe County will be partnering with Creating Assets, Savings, and Hope (CASH) and the New York State Department of Taxation & Finance Facilitated Self Assistance (FSA) Tax Assistance Program to provide Individual tax filing assistance to the community. Each program has a different set of qualifications to receive assistance so please check out both programs below to see which one is best for you.
CASH will only be offering Drop-off Tax Services this year, same day tax prep services will not be available.
The CASH program will begin Monday, February 10, 2020 on the fourth floor of the Bausch & Lomb Public Library Building.
The hours of the CASH tax preparation program are:
Mondays & Wednesdays 10 am – 7 pm
Tuesdays & Fridays 10 am – 5 pm
Thursdays 11 am – 5 pm
Saturdays 10 am – 4 pm
- $56,000 or less with dependents.
- $25,000 or less without dependents – this is a big change from last CASH’s program last year.
- The person is to have worked and lived only in New York State.
- No rental property income.
- No sale of stocks, bonds, etc.
- If self-employed (filing Schedule C), no reported loss, no employees and business expenses under $25,000.
Learn more about CASH’s financial services here.
The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance Facilitated Self Assistance (FSA) Tax Assistance Program will be at the Central Library on Wednesdays, January 29 – April 15 from 10 am – 6 pm on the 4th floor in the Business Innovation Center. This is a free self-preparation service and the NYS DTF FSA Tax Assistance staff are there to provide help and answer questions in order to guide you through the online process of filing your individual income taxes.
What you need to know:
- The NYS DTF FSA Tax Assistance staff do not provide tax advice.
- This year the FSA Tax Assistance Program has no income limits for filing 2019 taxes; however, Schedule C (this is for self-employment) filers are limited to $69,000 and investment income limited to $3,000. MyFreeTaxes is completely free for individuals and families this year unless you need Schedule C; Schedule D or Schedule E.
- This program has the ability if someone needs to file another state’s income taxes.
- This program does not allow for the filing of previous year’s taxes.
- Appointments can be made by calling the Central Library’s Science, History and Social Sciences Division at 585-428-8110. Appointments can be made any time the Central Library is open.
- Walk-ins are welcomed.
- The NYS DTF FSA Tax Assistance Program provides the laptops and you will be filing taxes both the Federal and NYS taxes.
- The NYS DTF FSA Tax Assistance staff will be available to provide help and answer questions.
What you need to bring:
- Driver’s license or state-issued non-driver ID (for both yourself and your spouse)
- A copy of last year’s tax return – you will need to know what last year’s Federal Adjusted Gross Income (FAGI)
- Birth dates and social security numbers for yourself, spouse and/or dependents
- Income documents such as W-2, Form 1098, Form 1099
- Healthcare statements such as 1095 A, B or C
- Information for tax credits
- Bank routing number and bank account number – this is for direct deposit for your refund
- Have an active, valid e-mail address – need to know your user name and password for your e-mail
You must have an active, valid e-mail address.
Visit the MCLS website here for more information about available tax filing assistance throughout the Monroe County Library System.